20. Arrow Pharmacy Building

    Table of contents
    No headers

    The first building we come to on the end is the Arrow Pharmacy building, which was built in 1918, once again, by David A. Jacobson.  This building has, until recently, continually housed the Arrow Pharmacy since the time it was built.  Jacobson leased the property to John B. “Doc” Weber, the town’s favorite pharmacist, who operated Weber’s Arrow Pharmacy for years.  Despite being only a pharmacist, they called him “Doc” because he would often tend to their more basic medical needs.  Children with scraped knees would stop in and Weber would bandage them up.  Kids often stopped here for a Coca-Cola, which only cost a nickel.  A 1924 ad for the Arrow Pharmacy in the Chandler Arizonan boasted “Our soda fountain service is unexcelled.  Our soft drinks made famous by Weber’s Arrow Root Beer.”  In 1948, the building was combined with the Reliable Hardware building next door.  It has had many owners through the years, but every one of them kept the Arrow name.  After over 85 years of service to the Chandler community, the doors closed for the first time in July 2005.  In fall 2006, a remodeling project began on the combined Arrow Pharmacy and Reliable Hardware buildings and the space is expected to be subdivided and leased out for retail shops.

     

    ♦Exhibit Home 21. Sprouse-Reitz Building ►
    Tag page (Edit tags)
    • No tags
    Pages that link here
    Page statistics
    2009 view(s), 3 edit(s) and 1880 character(s)

    Comments

    You must login to post a comment.

    Attach file

    Attachments